lundi 1 mars 2010

opting for the quiet life or having a go

I was really looking forward to saturday evening as my husband and i had been invited to a party of "selected" friends (i:e people who knew of my condition so i did not get stressed about how people would react).Not too many folk just enough to get along and enjoy some music and ,if i was up to it ,have a dance with the old man and girlfriends.
So ,i made sure I rested up all day to conserve my energy.
But my body was n`t up to it-I just could not control the saliva that filled my mouth ,and i kept coughing until i started to bleed .just a little and it soon stopped.
I did get in a bop to a few oldie Goldie songs and it was nice to try and chat with my whiteboard,to a few friends I had not seen for a while,and i am glad i went,even if i was the first to leave.
But the next day,I felt bad,and i do not know if some of it is pshychological,as i sit back and look on with envy at people singing their hearts out at the beatles songs,and laughing ,or I am surprised at how litle i can do physically any more.
Maybe a bit of both-anyway it depressed me on Sunday ,but by the afternoonI was up cooking good old roast beef and yorkshire pudding (which did not turn out too well for a yorkshire girl) for her beloved son who was about to wend his way back to the u.k.and needed feeding by his mum (well,I wanted to do it ,ifthe truth be told)
The sun is shining here in Paris ,so i might just go for a stroll.
best,
caroline

10 commentaires:

  1. Yes, it must be very hard to see others doing things that you can't and so wish you could. No wonder it got you down, but well done for having a go anyhow, and I'm sure your friends must have been very glad you managed to get along and spend some time with them. And as you say, the sun is shining today, so I hope you manage to soak some of it up and let it send warm feelings throughout your body and soul. xx

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hello Caroline. Now Yorkshire pud takes me back a bit! I was looking at one of your earlier posts, before which I didn't know you were from Leeds. I worked a spell in Leeds, 1961 to Autumn of 1962- at the Yorkshire Imperial factory in Hunslet. During this time I lived in Headingley, in North Grange Road, which perhaps you know? But this is beside the point. I got to know so many lovely Yorkshire folk - they all called each other "Love" or "Owld Love" and I'm sure they did. Although a Lancashire Lad by birth I soon gave the accolades to Leeds and Yorkshire- came to love the Broad Acres and . . . wait for it . . a Nice Bit of Wensleydale. I supped quite a lot of ale on Fridays in Whitelocks off the Briggate and recovered next day over coffee in Schofields(?) on the Headrow. I thought Leeds were reet grand, lass!

    All good wishes, Caroline. What a lovely smile you have.

    Doc FTSE

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. My grandchildren have a way of making me realize just what my activity level is, with all their running and climbing. Walking is my passion, just being outside in nature. The cold and snow have lessened my walks though.

    Strolling in Paris under the warm sun sounds very enticing, Caroline. I'm wondering if it's country side or city views, where you stroll.
    Maybe the sun will warm my part of the world soon, the end of March, sometimes brings flowers!
    Smiles to you Caroline,
    Wanda

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Good afternoon Caroline! I was thinking about you a lot on Saturday night, knowing you'd be at Rosemary's. The recipe I made of hers (that was some coincidence, I must say) wasn't a huge success, kind of like your evening, but it was good enough.
    Even if the whole thing wore you out mentally and physically, it does seem like you had some fun, and at least it got you out of the house and into some different company. I imagine that cabin fever only adds to the blues.

    I'm picturing you strolling around Villennes - I'm curious to see it again. Must have changed a bit since my day. Yesterday P. and I went into Nice for the last day of the Carnaval, as I had a bad case of CF and needed to see something other than the same 4 walls. It was lots of fun, with a good parade, and I persuaded P to go on the Ferris wheel, which was a first-ever experience for him!
    We ended up with dinner at a Thai restauarant near home that was super good and cheap - then the hockey game to end all games and went to bed happy.

    Sorry that Jack has gone back now...don't we all need to express our love through food, hmm?

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I may have studied the French language from the age of six to eighteen, but I've never been to Paris! So you have quite blown my mind with your combination of Paris in the sunshine and roast beef and yorkshire pudding! What a strange pair of bedfellows! LOL ! Thanks for the picture!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Wanted to let you know that Oprah has Roger Ebert on tomorrow-Tuesday. Do you get Oprah in Paris?
    My son & daughter are back in two weeks and I'm excited to have that full house feeling again.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Yum, I love Yorkshire Pudding. I've not been very good at making it, I'm afraid. I keep blaming it on living at 6500 ft above sea level. But my husband's bread always turns out okay.

    I'm so glad you had a nice time. Enjoy having your son home. I love having my children in my house. It just feels right.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. The sun shining in Paris sounds good right now. Here it is snowing – one of the rare times it does in the Southern USA, but tomorrow it will be gone. I love Yorkshire pudding but have not had it in years. When I went to school in England, the lady where I boarded used to make it at least twice a month – it tasted so good. I kept eating some of the food I ate in England, like I always place malt vinegar on my chips, they call them French fries here even though they are not French but Belgian. I also always put HP sauce on my eggs, and the HP sauce imported from England as the one from the States is sweeter. I am not going for a stroll today, too cold and wet – am just watching the birds gathering by the bird feeders.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. I just stopped by to tell you Roger Ebert was on Oprah. I hope you saw it - if not it will probably be on her site. He has a talking mac laptop Caroline.
    take care,
    Betty

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. This is a great and useful blog

    Just put up a link on our FB fan page

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-United-Kingdom/The-Patients-Voice/87459464944?ref=ts

    RépondreSupprimer