samedi 6 mars 2010

expecting the unexpected

The air is still bitterly cold,but there is a sense of spring around, and with it comes that internal urge women tend to get about clearing out and refreshing their homes a little. I am no different,although I have a sense of urgency as i do not want to leave a lot of clutter for my family to not know what to do with.
So with good intentions and summoning up some energy, I start to sort out various toys that i could give away and books no longer required.
I decided to wash the cuddly toys -big mistake as the stuffing came out of one of them and bunged up the machine and i spent the rest of the day unbunging the pump over and over again.The garage was flooded and a day had gone ,with me cursing my stupidity.
In the end,I had to go and buy a new machine,which in fact,was quite an amusing episode(i have to laugh at these incidents as otherwise life would be unbearble)I have a good friend who came with me to act as my voice,who speaks reasonable french but is not bilingual,plus me who is more or less mute,trying to extract information about the machines from a saleslady who was well into her pregnancy.It must have looked quite funny ,me with my sign language and paper and pen to the ready, spitting into my cup every five seconds,my friend confused whether she was speaking in french or english and the preganant assistant wanting to sit down and rub her tummy.I think she made a sale she won`t forget in a hurry.
As a result,i came home exhausted aNd feeling incompetent and tearful,when the postman knocked on my door and left me a parcel from an old university friend whom i had not seen for years ,but had retained that special friendship one makes in those early years of youth ,and inside she had sent lots of little thoughtful gifts -each with a little note attached and a letter. And it changed my outlook on that grim day,not the presents ,but yet again ,someone was out there rooting for me ,giving me strength again .
have a nice weekend
,
hurry.

5 commentaires:

  1. Washing machines, I'm sure, were invented by men as a secret method of driving ladies bonkers! Have you ever had one swallow your wash, and refuse to regurgitate it when requested? It then sits behind that porthole, smirking at you silently. Mind you, I once had a machine that was too fond of opening it's door - even in the middle of a rinse cylce, if you were daft enough to ask it...I can't recommend a kitchen as a combined paddling pool...
    I think if I were a cuddly toy, I'd protest and give up my stuffing in the first spin cycle, too! Will the new machine arrive quickly? Uk is never too speedy with deliveries...

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I read your post and saw a woman starting her day with appreciation for the coming of Spring and motivation to undertake a task. When things went a little sideways on her she gathered up the necessary team-mate and handled every aspect of that which needed to be done, keeping her sense of humor, finding time to write her blog and pass on the wisdom that time is short and we should all make the most of it. Thank you for the reminder.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I can't say it any better than English Rider, who has a knack for coming up with exactly the right thing.

    Still, I'm sorry you had the annoyance of all that - your energy would have been more happily spent on other things.

    I spent yesterday and today helping at the annual used book sale, and came away with 67 books, all of them either books I've wanted to read for a long time, or ones that were recommended. I'll have to start reading during the day if I ever hope to get to most of them - 20 minutes at night is all I can manage before I fall asleep.

    Snow is predicted for Monday - which is more in line with Calgary's weather than the Cote d'Azur! I put on my warmest sweater to go out this morning, which also happens to be my most chic (which isn't saying much) and then ran into a woman in Intermarche wearing the exact same thing. She was about a foot shorter than me so it looked a little different on her. I had to laugh, and said as I passed her 'Quelle coincidence!' She was not amused.

    xoxoDeb

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I like your sense of humor. I had a problem once with my dishwasher and was so mad that I kicked it. I almost broke my foot! I wish I lived in France close to you because I would love to help you do the French talking for you (I am French you know, I have dual-citizenship.) Like Deborah I bought used books. We went to our local Library sale yesterday. Bought 12 books, but we went back today because it was quite sunny and the sale is close to a small lake with many Canada geese. First we went inside and I bought another 14 books, then we went to feed the geese. I was pleased to find 4 French books which were not underlined.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Ok first off--Deborah 67 books!!!!!
    Carloline your post was very tender-your wanting to clear the clutter for your family and hilarious with your washing machine buying saga. So you touched my heart and tickled my funny bone. Have a great time away.

    RépondreSupprimer